Medium and Message; Taking Digital Art Out of Context.
This research project is an investigation into contemporary book design and intends to explore how digital art can be documented in a printed artefact. The practice-based research project is an exploration into how form, meaning and context can be …Read more
1. Amaral, L 2011, ‘The Festive Character of Cyber Art’, Technoetic Arts, vol. 8, no. 3(3), pp.255- 265.
2. Bachmann, C & Helmgartner, S (eds) 2017 Book – Material – Text. Essays on the Materiality, Mediality and Textuality of the (e)Book. Ruhr-University Bochum.
3. Kwastek, K 2013 Aesthetics of Interaction in Digital Art, Cambridge, Massachusetts, MIT Press.
By: Ashley Jane Goodall
- Digital Art
- Publication Design
- Material Translation
- Practice-Based Research
Discussions of Personality and Personal Effects–Visual Communication and Publication Design as a Tool for Complimenting Collections.
This fourteen week artifact led research project sought to create and explore intersections between personality, personal effects, curation and collections through visual communication and publication design. This act of making, as reflected in a ser …Read more
1. Splawa-Neyman,T (2015) ‘Discussion withThree Jackets: Making a Material Ecology’, Design Ecologies, Stockholm, Volume 6
2. Tonkinwise, C (2005) ‘Is Design Finished?: Dematerialisation and Changing Things’, Design Philosophy Papers, Volume 3, Number 2
By: Cameron Stevens
- Visual Communication Design
- Personal Collections
I got the power: an exploration of service design to empower student participation in designing solutions for self-regulated learning
This project sought to improve students’ abilities to perform self-regulated learning. Through a design practice employing service design and participatory design methods and tools, I spoke with, observed and worked with students to understand …Read more
1. Akama, Y, Cooper, R, Vaughan, L, Viller, S, Simpson, M, & Yuille, J 2007, ‘Show and tell: Accessing and communicating implicit knowledge through artefacts’, The Interaction of Practice and Theory, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 172-181.
2. Baron, NS, Calixte, RM & Havewala, M 2017, ‘The persistence of print among university students: An exploratory study’, Telematics and Informatics, vol. 34, no. 5, pp. 590-604.
3. Zimmerman, BJ, & Moylan, AR 2009, ‘Prototype Evaluation in Service Design: A Case Study at an Emergency Ward. In N. M. Roozenburg’, Handbook of metacognition in education, Routledge, New York.
By: Daniel Yakup
- service design
- human-centred design
- self-regulated learning
- sustainable learning
Speculating on Plausible Manipulation of Personal Data Experience trailer, Ali 2029
This project is undertaking the Speculative Design methodology to investigate how personal data may be manipulated in the future. Data is a powerful tool for narrating stories and predicting the future. Since personal data on Facebook has been …Read more
1. Auger, J 2013, Speculative Design: Crafting the Speculation, Digital Creativity, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 11-35.
2. Dunne, A & Raby, F 2013, Speculative Everything : Design, Fiction, and Social Dreaming, The MIT Press, Cambridge, US.
3. Foucault, M 1980, Language, counter-memory, practice: Selected essays and interviews, Cornell University Press, New York, US.
4. Greengard, S 2018, Weighing the impact of GDPR Greengard¡, Samuel Communications of the ACM, vol.61, pp.16-18.
5. Karlberg M, 2005, The Power of Discrouse and The Discrouse of Power: Pursuing Peace through Discourse Intervention¡¯, International Journal of Peace Studies, vol.10, no.1, pp.1-25.
By: Melena Juzheng Wang
- Personal Data
- Speculative Design
- Experience Trailer
- User Experience.
How can service design make students/newcomers visit more often in the traditional food market? (Queen Victoria Market)
In great aspects, the traditional market is the epitome of a country (Putra & Rudito 2015). Due to urbanization, the structural changes of society lead to the increasing negligence of the social fabric, which has accumulated over the years (Kim, …Read more
1. Akama, Y, Cooper, R, Vaughan, L, Viller, S, Simpson, M, & Yuille, J 2007, ‘Show and tell: Accessing and communicating implicit knowledge through artefacts’, The Interaction of Practice and Theory, Vol. 1, No. 3, pp. 172-181
2. Barlow, Mike, Lévy‐Bencheton & Cornelia 2018, Human‐Centered Design. In Smart Cities, Smart Future, John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, USA
3. Blomkvist, J & Holmlid, S 2011b, ‘Prototype Evaluation in Service Design: A Case Study at an Emergency Ward. In N. M. Roozenburg’, LL Chen & PJ Stappers (eds), Proceedings of IASDR2011, the 4th World Conference on Design Research, Delft, the Netherlands, pp. 11.
By: Nicholas Shu
- traditional market
- service design
- shopping behaviour
- human centred design
The Future of the Independent Design Media
This research aims to develop an independent local design media for interior designers and build their business strategy a combined online and print magazine with social media. This project used practice-based research to develop a strategy and …Read more
1. Wikstorm, P & Ellonen H, 2012, The impact of social media features on print media firms’ online business models, Journal of Media Business Studies,43 vol.9, issue 3, viewed 10 October, <https://www-tandfonline-com.ezproxy.lib. rmit.edu.au/doi/pdf/10.1080/16522354.2012.11073552?needAccess=true>.
2. Pavel, C 2015, ‘The growing importance of social media in business marketing’, Quaetus, Jun 2015, issue 7, pp.94-98, viewed 20 August 2018, Proque st Central.
3.McNiff, J & Whitehead, J, 2006, All you need to know about Action Research, Sage, London, UK.
By: Reiji Yamakura
- publication design
- web design
- independent media
- cafe design
- print media
Designing a national branding for Malaysia
National branding is always a challenging task especially when designing a simple logo that communicates about a country’s identity and sending the message to the world to see. It is the primary focus on the research. It is to create a design …Read more
1. Olins, W, 2014, ‘Brand New: The Shape of Brands to Come’, Chapter 7 National Prosperity and Nation Branding, pp 132-153; Thames & Hudson, original published in 2014.
2. Donnie, K, 2008, ‘Nation Branding: Concepts, Issues, Practice’, Chapter 1: The Relevance, scope and evolution of nation branding, pp 13-30; Butterworth-Heinemann original published in 2008.
3. Jordan, P, 2014, ‘Nation Branding: A Tool for Nationalism’, Journal of Baltic Studies, original published 2014.
By: Rubinden Kumar
- identity design
- national branding
Up? Down? Left? Right? - Experiencing Vietnamese diacritics in the type design process
Designers and typographers nowadays have more options to choose typefaces in their design compared to one-hundred years ago as the typeface design industry is growing fast recently. New font families are released every day from sans-serif to display …Read more
1.Gaultney, V 2002, Problems of diacritic design for Latin script text faces, UK thesis, SIL International Publications, viewed 1 September 2019, https://www.sil.org/resources/archives/9816.
2.Trương, D 2018, Vietnamese Typography, Donny Trương, viewed 23 July 2019, https://vietnamesetypography.com.
3.Microsoft, 2017, Character design standards - Diacritics for Latin 1, Microsoft, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/develop/character-design-standards/diacritics.
By: Thy Ha
- type design
- Vietnamese typography
- Vietnamese diacritics